Friday 26 September 2014

How To Stay Fit While Traveling

Travel or a sudden change in your schedule can wreak havoc on your weight and/or fitness level. If you’re someone who has to travel frequently and has trouble maintaining your fitness level when you’re on the go, read on to learn how you can stay fit while you’re away from home.

Tanah Lot Bali 2009

Airport food, unavoidable travel delays and lost luggage are enough to make even the most disciplined health guru reach for a sugary treat! If you’re a frequent business traveler or if you plan on traveling with your family this autumn, I believe that you must learn how your body works in order to stay fit while traveling. You need to understand what your body needs so that you can stay balanced and be at your best… even when you’re away from home.

With my intense travel schedule, I’ve had to become very structured in my approach to taking care of myself while I’m on the go. I’ve had to understand how much sleep I need to get in order to feel refreshed, how many calories I can consume without gaining or loosing too much weight and know exactly what I need to pack to be comfortable. These are just a few of the essential learnings I’ve had to become familiar with so that I can stay fit my busy schedule.

I’m sure you’ve heard the saying that “it takes a long time to get in good shape and create healthy habits, but just one bad day can throw off your results or your routine for weeks.’ I think this saying is quite accurate, so here are my top tips to help you stay balanced when traveling.

Pack a day early to squeeze in a workout

Don’t wait until the day of or the day before you travel to pack your bag. Do it a few days in advance, so you can save the day before you leave to squeeze in a workout or try to de-stress before you hit the road. I find packing the most stressful part of business travel, so getting this stress out of the way a few days in advance means that I’m a little more relaxed on travel day.

On your travel day it may be difficult to squeeze in a workout. Plan your week and adjust your workout routine so that your travel day becomes your scheduled rest day from exercise.

Get organized to avoid airport stress

Stress is one of the main culprits for poor eating. It can trigger production of excess cortisol, a hormone that makes your body more prone to storing fat in your abdominal area. My advice is get organized to limit your stress! You know getting through security at the airport is a stressful process, so ensure that all of your liquids are the right size and within easy reach. Keep your travel bag organized and pack a few healthy snacks so that you aren’t tempted by all of the junk food available at airport terminals. 

Invest in some travel essentials to avoid body soreness

Even if you’re fortunate enough to be flying business class, the space on planes is limited and cramped. Landing at your destination feeling relaxed is important if you want to get your workout routine up and going when you arrive. Some travel essentials you should remember to pack are earplugs, eye mask, some flight socks to help with blood circulation in your legs, a neck pillow and a warm sweater. These additional items may weigh you down a little, but trust me, traveling with some of your own comforts is much more pleasant than listening to loud conversations or not being able to rest because the light is in your eyes. (Not to mention that exercising will be the last thing on your mind if your neck is stiff when you land!)

Set yourself up for success

Never forget to pack your workout clothes and shoes so you can stay fit while you’re away. Sounds simple, but this is something that people often forget while traveling. I will admit that I’m a little extreme—I put one set in my carry on case just in case my bag goes missing en route. Limiting stress should be your number one priority when you travel. That’s why I keep a spare set of clothes in my carry on—you never know when surprise issues like someone spilling a drink on you will occur! Workout clothes are lightweight and practical. Just think that if your bag goes missing, you won’t have an excuse for missing a workout. When you land, at the very least, you will be comfortable while power walking around the shops as you buy new clothes if something does happen to your checked bags.

Nutrition on the go

Hydration is the most important thing to remember when you travel. Dehydration can affect your skin, your energy levels, can lead to headaches and/or negatively impact your digestive system. The great news is that you can easily get water on the plane. If you have your own personal container it will serve as a good reminder to keep sipping.

Good food while traveling, however, is harder to come by. Given the risk of travel delays, you could ruin your healthy eating plan if you’re not prepared. Pack nutrient rich snacks in your bag such as nuts or protein bars to help keep you full and away from unhealthy choices. With international travel, it’s always wise to keep some of your favorite healthy snacks handy. With time changes, you’ll want to keep your body fueled throughout the day to avoid binging at meal times due to excessive hunger.

Create an in-room workout routine

Fitting in some exercise during your trip may help you to sleep better and be more mentally alert in your activities. If going to the gym is not possible, simply commit to doing a quick 20-minute routine in your room in the morning, and 10-minute stretch at night. If you make regular exercise a necessary part of your travel schedule, you will have a better chance of staying on track with your health and fitness goals.

I hope my frequent traveller tips help to remind you to plan ahead. Try to avoid unnecessary stress and be sure to eat healthy when you travel. Don’t let bad habits ruin all of your hard work.

I love traveling, and I’ve managed to find simple and practical ways to keep my healthy routine in tact when I’m on the go. Do you have any tips on how to stay fit while you’re traveling? Tell me about what works for you in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment